Mission

It is my prayer that this blog will point to and reflect the light, love, and lessons God is opening my eyes to on this journey through life--linking us all closer to Him and to each other!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

What's Cookin? (April Link 2008)

I came up with a grand idea at Christmas–a grand idea that I would bake cookies and treats to give to people to show how much I care. So I carefully selected 4 to 5 scrumptious-sounding recipes and went about the necessary preparations. I took great care to purchase the exact ingredients called for, and even picked up red saran wrap and adorable tins, to cover and send the goodies in.

I put off the cooking until the last day or two possible, however, because I was intimidated. When I finally buckled down, spread out the ingredients and recipes, and began mixing up what was called for, I discovered Martha Stewart’s shoes didn’t fit the way I’d anticipated they would! In fact, they didn’t fit at all! Everything I attempted flopped. The macaroons weren’t sweet enough, the peppermint cookies were too hard or too soft, the fudge tasted burnt, and I didn’t even try to make the gingerbread angel cookies with lemon frosting, because I was so frustrated and discouraged!

To my defense, I will say that I was missing a few key appliances/tools that the recipes called for. I didn’t have an electric mixer or a double boiler. I reasoned that everything could still work, because people have been baking and making desserts long before all of our modern technology. I can see now, however, that there’s reasons why specific appliances are called for in the recipes, and if you don’t follow what they say, you can’t expect the same results they describe and achieve.

As I reflect on this story now, I’m actually chuckling to myself. But at the time, when my grand idea splattered up in my face, I was devastated to the point of tears. It was an enormous lesson for me to learn in letting go and opened up my eyes to a rich perspective on life.

Can you relate at all to my experience? Perhaps you haven’t flopped with cooking, but some other aspect of your life hasn’t or isn’t turning out the way you’d hoped, planned, or anticipated. Like me, you may have started out with the best of intentions or gone about the necessary prep work. Then somehow, somewhere along the way, everything fell apart.

What I want you and I both to know is that we are not failures! Many, actually most talents, goals and dreams, don’t come easily. Virtually nothing worthwhile is achieved overnight–whether it be weight loss, organization, grades, career goals, balance between relaxation and productivity, financial stability, managing the responsibilities of a home, or strong relationships with our family, friends and God. Yet how quick we are to run ourselves into the ground when results don’t happen right away! How quick we are to believe that it’s a lost cause and we’ll never get there. Our “cookies” don’t turn out and we’re ready to give up altogether.

Wouldn’t it be foolish for me to never try baking again, because I had one disappointing experience? Even as I sit here writing this, I can already hear several of you responding “don’t give up, Lindsey–you’ll be a great cook. We’ve all made mistakes.”

And I will turn that same encouragement back to you! Whatever it is you’re facing and discouraged about, DON’T GIVE UP! Persevere, pray, and you will get there! YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! Ask God, as I am now, to enable us to let ourselves off the hook of having everything we are aiming for together right this moment. We have such high expectations for ourselves for fast and quick results and success. It’s just not realistic. May you and I both recognize and respect ourselves for even trying, and acknowledge that we are learning and growing through the process! CHANGE TAKES TIME! As we practice or invest time and energy in our goals, we will discover one of three things: It’s actually something we are able to do well in; we need to keep “cooking” but try a different “recipe;” or we gave it our best shot and found that it may never be our thing, but we learned valuable lessons for life during the process.

Here’s a few other lessons/parallels I learned through my baking experience...

Some “Baking Tips” for Life (none of which I’ve mastered–all of which I’m praying God will grow me in):

-When we take on too much, we set ourselves up for failure. Start small!

-Starting off with the right ingredients is essential, but the quality of effort and amount of time invested are equally as important.

-When we put things off because of our fears or feelings of inadequacy, ironically the odds are dramatically increased that what we are dreading becomes our reality.

-Don’t be afraid to get messy or to make a mess. Dive in wholeheartedly!

-We need the right Mixer (God), to blend everything together–life “by hand” doesn’t work and is utterly draining and exhausting!

-Be prepared to wait–almost everything takes time to rise (or to solidify, like fudge).

-Though we want to naturally be gourmet in what we attempt, it’s valuable to remember that if everything came easy for us all the time, we wouldn’t need each other–we wouldn’t need God.

-Sometimes the best concoctions and discoveries come from “mistakes” and experimenting.

-Ask God and trusted friends for recipes or helpful tips they’d recommend (in all avenues and aspects of daily living). Better yet, involve them in the “baking process,” and cook together!

-Likewise, once you discover a great recipe, share it with others and/or help them “bake!”

-Often times laughter really is “the best medicine,” when things flop or fly up in our face. Ask, “Is there any humor in the situation?” (Sometimes the funniest thing I find is how worked up I allow myself to get over something that is actually small, in the grand scheme of things! A friend’s perspective can also provide humorous insights. My close friend Diane had me exploding in laughter, when she took a bite of one of my hard cookies, in the middle of my baking drama!) :P

-Don’t be afraid to try again! (Remember, it took Thomas Edison 2,000 attempts to successfully invent the light bulb. Yet now, the world is lit up, because of his persistence).

-Lastly, from personal experience I have found that God’s recipes (for life, circumstances, and the future) are always the most fabulous> but He usually only gives them to us one step at a time!


So pick up your wooden spoon, wire whisk, or electric mixer, and stir it up!!


P.S. An extra tidbit for my “single sistas” or anyone else who’s waiting on some aspect of their future:

I’m sure you’ve all seen or experienced a mom teaching her little girl how to cook something, and involving her in the process. Now picture God inviting us to join Him in the kitchen to help Him cook up a fabulous recipe–one we’ve never tried. Let that little child in you come out–that little child who used to get excited about new experiences and the unknown. Then choose to trust the Cook. Measure what He says. Stir when he asks. And don’t be afraid to ask for a taste--to lick the spoon! :) Get ready for incredible aromas to fill the air and whet your appetite!

P.S.S. 2 promises:

“Let Him have all your worries and cares, for He is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you.” I Peter 5:7

“The eyes of man can’t see, his ears can’t hear and his mind can’t imagine what God has in mind for those who love Him!” I Corinthians 2:9

No comments:

Post a Comment