Mission

It is my prayer that this blog will point to and reflect the light, love, and lessons God is opening my eyes to on this journey through life--linking us all closer to Him and to each other!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Quality Time At Christmas (Christmas Link 2008)

It seems most of life’s greatest parallels, life’s greatest lessons, come when we least expect them. Such is the case for me tonight. I’m home for the holidays at my parent’s place in Walla, Walla, WA. Winter has hit hard here this year with about 3 feet of unforeseen snow.

My dad has picked up a second occupation–official snow shoveler for our surrounding neighbors and family living in the area. He’s put long hours into clearing out driveways, walkways, and the roofs of covered car ports that were threatening to cave under their load of snow. Additionally, tonight I heard him saying that if my brother decides to come home, he will do whatever it takes to make sure he can have his own private space in their RV. He will do this, regardless of if the freezing weather has caused any damage in the lines that he has to fix.

As I overheard him saying this, my heart sank. Selfishness crept up within me. I wanted to say “Dad, even though you’ve been helping people, you haven’t been around much, and now you’re going to be gone working on the RV, yet another day? Time is passing so quickly and soon I’ll be heading home. I flew all the way over here to see you. Can’t we please spend some quality time together?”

Then tears fill my eyes as Jesus grips my soul with His words:

“Linds, even though you’ve been reaching out to and helping people over the holidays, you haven’t been around much. There’s still presents to wrap, cards to write, phone calls to make and people to visit–will you be gone yet another day? Time is passing so quickly and soon you’ll be heading back to work. I came all the way from heaven to Bethlehem to see you. Can’t we please spend some quality time together?”

Wow!! There’s the true meaning of Christmas, from a fresh angle, but just as moving! The God of the universe came all the way down to our meager planet, just to see and be with us! Jesus left His throne and family for 33 years, enduring heartache and trials we can’t begin to grasp, all in an effort to say, “Do you see how much I love you? Do you recognize how much you mean to Me?” No weather, airports, traffic, or lines we brave, no expense we undergo to be with our families over the holidays, could even begin to hold a candle to the sacrifice He made!

His heart has not changed. His desire remains the same. To each and every heart that will listen, comes His plea again this Christmas: “Can’t we please spend some quality time together? I came here just to be with you! They had no room for Me at the inn 2,000 years ago. Will you make room for Me? Time is passing quickly and I’ll be flying home soon.”

Our Heavenly Brother, the Best Friend we could ever ask for, is aching to spend time with us! His heart sinks when he learns of our jam-packed schedules. With a lump in His throat and misty eyes He quietly says, “You haven’t been around much. Will you be gone yet another day?”

It’s time to rearrange our priorities. As He blows out His candles this birthday, let’s make His wish come true! In light of His great sacrifice and love for us, it’s the least we can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment